Here are my Top Tips when buying jeans.
1. Be open minded. Always visit a denim specialist and be open to the suggestions the assistant makes. Like any garment all jeans are essentially the same - two legs, five pockets, but the magic is in the individual fit.
2. If jeans go on easily, go down a size. Kicking your way into the legs isn’t unusual.
3. When buying jeans with super stretch, look for good quality denim that has great memory. The ‘memory’ is how quickly the denim springs back after wear.
4. When buying jeans with super stretch buy them firm but not overly tight. If you have ‘seam strain’ down the legs, they are possibly too tight and this could damage the stretch.
7. ‘Whiskering’ adds interest and depth on jeans around the crotch area and is a flatting feature. Lighter styles with no whiskering can sometimes look a bit ‘blocky’.
8. There should be no ‘grab’ room at the crotch when trying. The jeans should be nice and firm when you buy them, and loosen with wear.
9. Alterations can give you the perfect jeans. Think about adjusting the waistband or slimming the legs - small adjustments are not unusual.
10. The waistband should be snug, if you can fit two fingers down the back that’s good, a whole hand is not.
11. Boyish shapes can wear most styles. Add some shape and interest with zips and details on back pockets.
12. When having your jeans hemmed make sure the tailor always measures them from the back of the leg, i.e. at your heel, otherwise they may come back too short.
13. Don’t be afraid to hem cropped jeans. People often think that if cropped jeans aren’t the right length then they’re not the jeans for them, but cropped jeans should be hemmed to fit properly, just like a bootleg or straight leg.
14. A curved, or pieced waistband, is ideal. This will be slightly higher at the back than the front and will curve into your waist rather than sit straight up.
16. High waisted jeans without a yoke can make the bottom look longer. Look for styles with a yoke if this is a concern.
17. Read the care instructions. Most premium jeans are best washed COLD, that’s cold and not 30 degrees. Any warmer and you are damaging the fabric.
18. When having your jeans hemmed for flares take the shoes you want to wear with them to the fitting. You should decide on the shoes and stick with those shoes for your flares.
20. Have fun with your denim… the traditional five pocket jeans now come in a myriad of colours, patterns and fabrics. Just wear them with a simple white tee.
Book a Denim Clinic.
Written by Donna Ida Thornton Jean Queen of Donna Ida and blogger for The Huffington Post.